segunda-feira


I am a kindergarten teacher and music director at a Greek Orthodox school. This is my class and I...and the teacher that I replaced...the day we took pictures-that was the most awkward days I've ever had. Yep, even though this picture serves as a constant reminder, I don't think I'll go into it. Anyway, working at Saint Sohia has been the biggest adventure yet, and I am riding the roller-coaster with both hands up. There are things that I get to experience here, that a normal kindergarten teacher would not. These things are small, but they are the spice that gives wonderful flavor to my vocational soup. One; while other schools are fighting about the ethical views of prayers or even the mention of God in schools, or the pledge, we pray often-before school, snack time, and when school ends, and we celebrate God all the time, the kids even have a religious hour. It is very refreshing-and hard at the same time. Two; normal classroom in a public school-35, my class is a class of 17-of course their names are hard to learn at first, but I enjoy my little classroom. Three; while other schools may have events or teacher lunches like cake, fast food-American classics, I , on the other hand, get Greek food all the time! I love it, things wrapped in grape leaves, lamb, feta, etc. this is something I adore!! Mad Greek or YaiYai Nikki's don't even compare. Finally four; There are a lot of thing that teachers worry about. My huge stress is when to make my kids knee in church, to make sure they only take one bread for the sacrement, and that my room is ready for the next time it is blessed my splashing holy water all over the walls with a pine branch (that was a new one for me). That donesn't happen in public schools. I think I found an ever changing, exciting and full of beautiful people vocation that I feel so blessed to have. I think I would be happy where ever the Lord put me, but at Saint Sophia this is the icing on the baclava.

3 comentários:

Beck disse...

Sounds like such a great experience for both growing and learning. And I'm sure the food is great. :) I bet you're the best teacher ever!

Liz disse...

Sounds like a great environment to work in. Diversity sure makes life fun!

I feel really bad, I was updating my blog and I realized that the invite I sent you to invite you to my blog didn't work. I invited you again. Sorry. I think your blog is fun to read and keep up on what is going on with you guys!

Charis disse...

Thanks for sharing your grand stories yesterday! I Don't think I have ever laughed so hard. I found your blog, via sarah's I hope you don't mind.