OXI Night was a hit!!! The music program I was in charge of went off with a blow out performance! Each year Saint Sophia, along with most Greeks, celebrate the day the Greek nation beat the Italians during the WW2 world conquering tour. OXI means no in the language and that as what the leader said to the Italian government when asked to join forces with them and Hitler. It's a big event. So our theme this year was international freedom. There was singing, speeches, dances and instruments. Every child performed and in some way shared what freedom means to them. The program started with the children walking in with flags from their heritage lands, they also dressed up in outfits representing that culture. I thought it was a good idea when I presented it, I never knew how excited everyone would get! I am the one in the pink-I'm France...just in case you can't tell.
This is the Zorba-that's not how it's written in Greek, but how it sounds. I was the leader, organizer, choir director and tech person during the program. I was crawling on the floor a lot-hushing kids, adjusting mics. and etc. The dancing bookended the event-it was a huge hit.
This is me with three of my students and a pre-schooler. Right to Left: Hannah (dutch), Me (France), Roman (Greek) and Raeya (Pakinstan).
It took everything I could say to make them stop running around and pose for the picture.
R to L: Mary (dutch) Me, Vriege(Armenian)
This is after the program, when we were eating dinner-I love pasta.
R to L: Me, Kaliope (Greek), Karlyn (Greek), Eleni(Greek) I love these little girls!!! I love getting hugs from them each day. Being a kindergarten teacher really rocks!!
This is me leading the singing, they did such a nice job! We sang the Saint Sophia hymn, My Country Tis of Thee, I sang Amazing Grace with a student band, and then the Greek National Anthem. Hard work, but so worth it in the end. Their parent's faces were great-best they had ever sang they said. So all in all, the stress and work was worth it and I think I could do this again next year-thanks for Sue, teachers, Mr. Paul my TA and the beautiful students.
3 comentários:
Wow...that sounds like a lot of work!! But if anyone could pull it off, it would be you! Happy Birthday yesterday...I have a card for you...but no address!
Jen, that sounds like it was really cute...and a ton of work. Good job! You are amazing!
I love finally seeing your students. They are so lucky to have a teacher like you. It sounds like such an amazing event. I wish I could have been there! Love ya!
Postar um comentário